Friday, June 15, 2012

some healthy choices.

So, I've been making a concerted effort to live a happier and healthier lifestyle. This of course includes eating healthier. While kind of a ritual-based person when it comes to my diet, I do like to change things up every now and then or build upon meals and snacks I eat frequently.

Below is the recipe for a delicious smoothie I made the other day. In my opinion, this is a delicious and nutritious breakfast and a great way to kick-start your metabolism in the morning. I only use a half cup of the yogurt.



Inside the blender (blend-ah!).



Yummy. :) Smoothies always taste better through a straw. Well, I mean... what doesn't?



I've also been trying to come up with ways to liven up my salads in a way that spans an array of vitamins. This has been my favorite salad spruce-up method as of late.

1. Choose your salad.
Try to choose something other than romaine or iceberg. Although these do have fiber, they possess less nutritional value than say mesclun mix, spring mix, or baby spinach. I like to mix my salads: half mesclun, half spinach.



2. Shredded carrots!
Carrots are rich in fiber and vitamin A. They also carry beta carotene which serves as an immune booster and antioxidant. My mother attributes her youthful glow to all the baby carrots she eats on a daily basis!



3. Chick peas!
Chick peas are great because they're loaded with fiber and iron and they also taste great! It's also to have them in a salad because they really fill you up. If you're not into chick peas, try some kind of marinaded chicken or lean meat.



3. Salad toppers!
I throw these salad toppers in because I think it adds more interest to the taste of my salad. I also love the crunch. It's important not to go overboard on these, though, because they contain a relatively high amount of fat and sodium. A small amount of fat in your meal will help you absorb certain kinds of vitamins and vitamin precursors (like beta carotene!).




 I hope you enjoyed this post and I especially hope that you all have a fantabulous weekend!!
xoxo
Cara




1 comment:

  1. I used to work at a smoothie shop, so obvz I loved this post.
    I also found that smoothies are a great way to get in extra supplements. For example, a lot of people would get supplements such as: flax seed, whey protein, B12 vitamins, etc. in their shake. I especially like smoothies after a workout.

    Can't wait to try yours!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...